Islamic Relief is fully committed to protecting the security, privacy and dignity of its orphans and their families. The child protection procedures detailed below are in place to ensure the safety and welfare of children and offer them protection from exploitation or abuse.
- The location and family name of a child will be withheld until the donor has been identified. Islamic Relief will not publish or make public the address, telephone number or e-mail contact of any of the children or their families.
- Sponsorship is based on the agreement that donors will not attempt to contact the orphan or their family by any means without the specific permission of Islamic Relief.
- The donor and orphan are free to exchange correspondence via Islamic Relief’s Fundraising and Field offices, however all postal material must conform to IR policy.
- The donor may visit the orphan, at his or her own expense, provided written permission is obtained in advance. Islamic Relief may carry out police background checks before permitting such visits. The Orphans Welfare Officer within that country will supervise the visit at all times.
- Unfortunately, Islamic Relief cannot allow unannounced visits to the sponsored orphan. For obvious safety reasons, sponsored children cannot be brought to the donor’s country for visits.
- Photographs and other data posted on the website are for the purpose of supplying potential sponsors with relevant information about the Orphan Welfare programme. The information and photographs may not be downloaded, copied or replicated without the express permission of Islamic Relief.