Scope and Authority :
The post holder has a mandate to cover all customer service issues within Islamic Relief SA and reports directly to the Line Manager. Regular communication and support should be provided to IR staff and volunteers; the line manager must be updated accordingly.
The post holder is expected to be aware of all updates within IRSA and be able to communicate these to the right channels at the appropriate times. The post holder is responsible for processing donations, keeping financial records, updating donors, service providers, regional representatives and other stakeholders’ database. Day to day database maintenance tasks, updating records and maintaining accuracy.
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff. The following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
Provide excellent donor care to Islamic Relief South Africa
- Responsible for implementing and contributing towards the Donor Care strategy for Islamic Relief SA, including the development and implementation of a relationship management database software system.
- Maintain a system of Donor Care that can keep the relationships with Islamic Relief donors in a professional, constant and adequate manner.
- Ensure Donor Care is comprehensive and accurate by regularly reconciling with local sources.
- Keep an updated database for Islamic Relief donors, their donations, sponsored projects and reports.
- Keep CRM system up to date.
- Ensuring donors and Partners queries by email, phone, social media
channels or other means of communication are addressed and answered in
a timely and precise manner, escalating when necessary.
- Ensure progress/situational reports are sent out to donors in a timely and
correct manner according to agreed format and times set.
- Effectively deal with complaints, ensure learning from complaints is taken
on board. Implement and develop processes for monitoring and report against IR’s centralised complaints procedure.
- Work closely with key departments within IR to ensure that all communications to supporters is kept up to date and that service to supporters is co-ordinated and continuous.
- Donor Centricity.
Regular Giving Administration
- Manage and administer regular giving income including direct debits and Standing Orders and manage the scanning and storage of related records.
- Administration of Direct Debit instruction and payment processes.
- Regular administration of Direct Debits by processing EFT reports.
- Monthly importing of Standing orders and administration of missed
payments and cancellations
- To be the first point of contact for the donors of IRSA and ensure that donor related enquiries are handled in a professional manner whilst maintaining high standards at all times.
- To manage all the enquiries via the various email inboxes
- Entering the donor details and particulars of the enquiries onto the
relationship management database software, responding to these enquiries verbally and/or by using standard or drafting tailored written responses, dispatching leaflets, information packs and acknowledgement letters.
- Handle all enquiries from donors by telephone, letter and the internet and bring to conclusion.
- Ensure that all enquiries are handled within agreed standards.
- Entering the donor details and particulars of the enquiries onto the
- Achieve the best possible outcome for IR from each customer contact. This will involve pointing customers towards an engagement with IR that is the most suitable for the customer and the most beneficial for IR. Promote and effectively communicate Islamic Relief’s various projects, funds and campaigns.
- Ensure records on relationship management database software and database are accurate and up-to-date. This involves inputting, amending, maintaining donor details on the database including complex data handling and data cleaning
- Provide reports to other departments requesting information from the relationship management database software and database
- Logging and processing the event forms from the Fund Development team.
- Following up with pledges made at events as required.
- Keeping up to date with changes in procedures and processes in donation related work e.g. ways of capturing and entering data.
- Issuing Section 18A, standing order mandates, direct debits and donation coupons.
- Ensure all filing and paperwork storage is maintained to the highest standards.
- Administration of Standing order, Direct debit cancellations and missed payments.
- Constantly monitor and look to improve the qualitative effectiveness of the work produced by the donor care team. This will include working on your own initiative to effect measurable improvements in donor care and data quality.
- Responsible for preparing acknowledgements, deeds, and reports to donors.
- Contribute to the efficient running and good practice of the donor care team and undertake other initiatives as required.
- Accurate, correct processing of daily tasks.
- Minimise reworks.
- Accurate tracking of campaigns/appeals.
- Be involved in department or organisation project teams or working groups where appropriate.
- Providing additional support to donor care as and when necessary such assisting with departmental projects. E.g. working on orphans reports when requested.
- Volunteer Management. This includes managing office volunteers and managing the pool of Live appeal Volunteers. Assist with the volunteer training, overseeing it on the night from donor care aspect.
- Work closely with key stakeholders in the organisation to ensure all donor care related work is kept up-to-date and that service to donors is co- ordinated and continuous.
- Communicate performance with line manager.
- Participate in meetings requested by line manager and to ensure that
decisions from any meetings are followed up.
- Proactively maintain awareness and knowledge of Campaigns and Appeals.
- Participate in meetings as and when required in the Fund Development
General Duties of Islamic Relief Staff Member
- Contribute to the effective and efficient running of Islamic Relief as appropriate
- Participate, as appropriate, in Staff forums and Meetings
- Adhere to Islamic Relief’s Policies and Procedures
- Represent Islamic Relief to the wider community as appropriate
- Treat all colleagues, volunteers and members of the public with dignity and
work within and adhere to Islamic Relief’s equal opportunities statement
- Ensure professionalism and credibility at all times
- Any other tasks deemed appropriate by manager within the scope of the
- Tertiary qualification/s in relevant & related discipline
- Extensive organisational and administrative experience.
- Donor care or customer service experience.
- Proven experience managing multiple projects, meeting deadlines, and using judgment and initiative in problem resolution
Skills & Knowledge Required
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic Values and principles as well as commitment to IRSA’s vision and mission.
- Good levels of computer skills with experience of working with databases and competent in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Experience of working in customer service environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good standard of numeracy
- Ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a methodical manner with attention to detail
- Ability to plan, prioritise and deliver on tight timescales and work under pressure
- Ability to input data accurately and efficiently
- Willingness to work longer hours, including weekends, during peak campaigns
- Strong empathy for the aims and work of Islamic Relief
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good skills on database and data analysis.
- Ability to exercise judgement quickly and take decisions in work related problems
with a variety of issues independently.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills.