Purpose of Position
- To identify, develop and implement humanitarian projects aimed at the upliftment of the region driven by the programmes strategy of Islamic Relief South Africa.
- To spearhead regional programming through identification of opportunities for project development and institutional fund-raising.
- Participate in regional humanitarian and/or stakeholder meetings for enhanced institutional visability and fund-raising.
- Co-ordinate monitoring, evaluation and learning for regional projects in liaison with the programme team, implementing partners and IRSA and M&E Team.
1. PROGRAMMES DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Keep an up to-date overview of, and manage all operational matters in the Region
- Ensure that the quality of proposals and budgets fit into the overall country and regional strategy and that all parties involved understand this need.
- Assist field offices to produce high-quality project proposals for funding from both IR and institutional donors through field visits, etc
- Actively identify potential institutional funding and link up field offices to institutional donors and support in securing funding on behalf of the country programme where necessary
2. LEADING, MANAGING AND DEVELOPMENT OF STAFF
- In conjunction with the HOD of Programmes, manage, lead and develop several key staff to ensure the effective management and delivery of work in country including persons responsible for administration, finance and programmes.
- Ensuring that staff in country carries out the implementation, monitoring and reporting of programmes.
- Ensure field work on the ground takes place within IRSA and IRW guidelines.
3. PLANNING & BUDGETING
- Participate in the development of country and regional strategy and in policy development
- Draw up and monitor annual action plans and business plans with the HOD of Programmes
4. REPORTING, ANALYSIS, INNOVATIVE THINKING & PROBLEM-SOLVING
- Follow up with the field to ensure that donors and partners reports are submitted on time and in the correct format.
- Analyse budgets to ensure value for money and ensure that programme support cost remain reasonable within the relevant region and as per the project.
- Resolve or refer challenges to programme delivery
- Anticipates future requirements and development needs per region and field requirement.
- Collate and compile reports and produce data which feed into the reporting structure for the Programmes department of IRSA.
- Network, advocate and build relationships with people with similar roles/ positions in NGOs
- Work closely with the media department to ensure that the Field Office’s information in internet and websites are up to date (project profiles, case studies, photos, desk filing systems and archiving of documents and reports)
- Spearhead fundraising efforts to market projects both within Islamic Relief Partners and externally (in coordination with Islamic Relief fundraising mechanisms).
6. MONITORING AND EVALUATION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Undertake monitoring and assessment field visits to ensure programmes are implemented as proposed, contracted and per guidelines and standards
- Undertake field visits to support and facilitate quarterly and annual programme and project reviews and lesson learned workshops to ensure programmes are progressing well, delivering the planned outputs and are having the necessary impact.
- Monitor administrative systems including quality management activities to ensure field offices are operating to IRW and IRSA policies and standards
- Conduct risk assessments as per area and field
- Ensure field programme evaluations are externally audited (by M&E) and necessary actions followed up on
- Travel and spend time within the field for 60% of the year.
- Carry out, where possible, any other duties that is in line with the job purpose as requested by the line-manager.
- Continuously monitor programmes within relevant areas of work, and advocate for establishing sustainable projects for the benefit of less fortunate communities.
- Communicates effectively and systematically across the organization
- Engages and networks with the wider community by attending and representing Islamic Relief and meaningfully engaging with institutional and other area relevant groups (including government) Works closely with careworkers and caregivers within specified areas
- A graduate degree in development, humanitarian or any other related field
- An in-depth understanding of community and sustainable development issues
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Proven track record of working in a similar role with an NGO
- Proven track record of field work experience with NGOs in developing countries in rehabilitation; development and emergency contexts
- Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and regional donors
- Experience of and commitment to a participatory, supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all.
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes; use of quantitative and qualitative research data collection in support of programme development.
- Proven experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management.
- Strong and well developed analytical skills coupled with experience of writing quality proposals and reports
- Experience of distance management (in the case of managing field and care worker teams)
- Experience of organisational development
- Experience of working on emergency and/or disaster preparedness programmes in developing countries
- Experience of advocacy and communications work.
- Ability to analyse and assess complex situations and develop policies.
- Written and spoken command of regional languages advantageous
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
- Problem solving skills
- Culturally sensitive
- Able to work with the most vulnerable groups including women and children,
- Good team work skills with the ability to work with different and sometime conflicting agendas
- Excellent written and spoken English
Closing date: COB 8th September 2021
Please forward a copy of the completed application form(Download form), 1 page motivational letter and your CV along with a certified copy of your ID to email@example.com before the 8th September 2021.
Dearest applicant, kindly consider the following:
If the requirements of the application as above, is not met, we will consider the application as incomplete and this will therefore not be accepted.
Please note that if you do not hear from us by 1st September 2021, consider your application unsuccessful.
Over and above operational requirements Islamic Relief South Africa will take into account the country’s and organisational employment equity imperatives.