Islamic Relief South Africa (IRSA) is a member of Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW), a UK based international relief and development charity, which aims to alleviate the suffering of the world’s poorest people.
Position Title: Regional Programmes Coordinator
Organisation: Islamic Relief South Africa
Reports to: HOD of PROGRAMMES
Purpose of Position
|PROGRAMMES DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
LEADING, MANAGING AND DEVELOPMENT OF STAFF
PLANNING & BUDGETING
REPORTING, ANALYSIS, INNOVATIVE THINKING & PROBLEM-SOLVING
- Collate and compile reports and produce data which feed into the reporting structure for the Programmes department of IRSA.
- Network, advocate and build relationships with people with similar roles/ positions in NGOs
- Work closely with the media department to ensure that the Field Office’s information in internet and websites are up to date (project profiles, case studies, photos, desk filing systems and archiving of documents and reports)
- Spearhead fundraising efforts to market projects both within Islamic Relief Partners and externally (in coordination with Islamic Relief fundraising mechanisms).
MONITORING AND EVALUATION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Undertake monitoring and assessment field visits to ensure programmes are implemented as proposed, contracted and per guidelines and standards
- Undertake field visits to support and facilitate quarterly and annual programme and project reviews and lesson learned workshops to ensure programmes are progressing well, delivering the planned outputs and are having the necessary impact.
- Monitor administrative systems including quality management activities to ensure field offices are operating to IRW and IRSA policies and standards
- Conduct risk assessments as per area and field
- Ensure field programme evaluations are externally audited (by M&E) and necessary actions followed up on
- Travel and spend time within the field for 60% of the year.
- Carry out, where possible, any other duties that is in line with the job purpose as requested by the line-manager.
- Continuously monitor programmes within relevant areas of work, and advocate for establishing sustainable projects for the benefit of less fortunate communities.
- Communicates effectively and systematically across the organisation
- Engages and networks with the wider community by attending and representing Islamic Relief and meaningfully engaging with institutional and other area relevant groups (including government)
- Works closely with careworkers and caregivers within specified areas
- A graduate degree in development, humanitarian or any other related field
- An in-depth understanding of community and sustainable development issues
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Proven track record of working in a similar role with an NGO
- Proven track record of field work experience with NGOs in developing countries in rehabilitation; development and emergency contexts
- Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and regional donors
- Experience of and commitment to a participatory, supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all.
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes; use of quantitative and qualitative research data collection in support of programme development.
- Proven experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management.
- Strong and well developed analytical skills coupled with experience of writing quality proposals and reports
- Experience of distance management (in the case of managing field and care worker teams)
- Experience of organisational development
- Experience of working on emergency and/or disaster preparedness programmes in developing countries
- Experience of advocacy and communications work.
- Ability to analyse and assess complex situations and develop policies.
- Written and spoken command of regional languages advantageous
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
- Problem solving skills
- Culturally sensitive
- Able to work with the most vulnerable groups including women and children,
- Good team work skills with the ability to work with different and sometime conflicting agendas
- Excellent written and spoken English
Key Islamic Relief Qualities Required
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IR’s vision and mission as per below:
- Excellence (Ihsan): Our actions in tackling poverty are marked by excellence in our operations and conduct which are deserving of the people we serve.
- Sincerity (Ikhlas): In responding to poverty and suffering our efforts are driven by sincerity to God and the need to fulfil our obligations to humanity
- Social Justice (Adl): Our work is founded on enabling people and institutions to fulfil the rights of the poor and vulnerable. We work to empower the dispossessed towards realising their God-given human potential and developing their capabilities and resources.
- Compassion (Rahma): We believe the protection and well-being of every life is of paramount importance and we shall join with other humanitarian actors to act as one in responding to suffering brought on by disasters, poverty and injustice.
- Custodianship (Amana): We uphold our duty of custodianship over the earth, its resources and the trust people place in us as humanitarian and development practitioners to be transparent and accountable.
Closing date: COB 4th November 2022
Please forward a copy of the completed application form (available on the website), 1 page motivational letter and your CV along with a certified copy of your ID to recruitment@islamic- relief.org.za before the 4th November 2022.
Dearest applicant, kindly consider the following:
If the requirements of the application as above, is not met, we will consider the application as incomplete and this will therefore not be accepted.
Please note that if you do not hear from us by 11th November 2022, consider your application unsuccessful.
Over and above operational requirements Islamic Relief South Africa will take into account the country’s and organisational employment equity imperatives.