Islamic Relief South Africa (IRSA) is a member of Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW), a UK based international relief and development charity, which aims to alleviate the suffering of the world’s poorest people.
Position Title : Orphans and Child Welfare Officer
Organization : Islamic Relief South Africa
Location : Johannesburg
Contract : Twelve months
Reports to : National Coordinator – Orphans and Child Welfare
To contribute on the development, implementation and regular review of the department’s strategy, work plans and systems to achieve the agreed department objectives.
To contribute, manage and develop staff in order to ensure that the department is capable of fully achieving agreed targets. The Coordinator will be responsible for the field aspect of the Orphans
Project and its activities in Johannesburg and will report directly to the National Coordinator.
Purpose of Position
- Maintain projects files and documentation, including individual orphan files with key documentation according to IRW policies in Johannesburg.
- Responsible for the Information System in the Office. (Al Yateem and General Admin)
- Performs any other duties as and when required by the management.
- Facilitate Psycho Social events for the Rights-Holders after needs assessment.
- Responsible for the rights holders and donor development and growth of the OSP Program.
To lead on the development, implementation and regular review of the department’s strategy, work plans, and systems ensuring that:
- The department objectives are monitored and achieved on the basis of KPI’s.
- The efficient planning and management of the department’s work in Johannesburg.
- The department is appropriately staffed to achieve its objectives.
- That the department continuously analyses and adapts to the risks posed by both internal and external changing environments.
- Sound financial and resource management.
- Assure the quality of programmes and services in Johannesburg.
- That all reporting requirements and obligations are met.
- Identify and develop new programmes that can help Orphans and children as required
To ensure that the department’s activities are:
- In line with Partner, Donor and Field Structure needs and requirements,
- Developed and managed in a way that minimises organisational risk,
- In line with the broader organisational strategy and various codes of conduct that IRW is committed to.
To ensure staff performance, development and satisfaction in the department by:
- Effectively line managing Departments’ staff.
- Monitoring and improving staff performance through regular one-to-one and department’s meetings, periodic reviews and appraisals and enforcement of staff development plans.
- Leading, facilitating and encouraging team work and departmental communication.
- Responsible for maintaining own professional development.
- To comply with IRSA’s policies and procedures in undertaking the above roles and responsibilities.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties consistent with the job and at its level of responsibility as and when required by the management.
National Coordinator – Orphans and Child Welfare Chief Executive Officer
Partners (IRSA office) and Stakeholders
IRSA Project Manager/Regional Programmes Coordinator Field Officers
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Employee should be emotionally intelligent enough in order to maintain a good balance with the highly sensitive information and circumstances s/he will be faced with daily.
- Employee should be able to manager his/her time effectively in order to meet the expectations of our rights holders and donors.
- The incumbent should be responsible and manage his/her time effectively.
Educational Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge
QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with the Islamic Values and Principles. A commitment to IRSA’S and IRW’s Vision, Mission and values is also essential.
- Post graduate degree in development studies / social sciences or relevant qualification is essential. A business management degree is desirable.
- Fluent written and spoken English (Afrikaans and Xhosa are preferred).
- Proven ability and experience in people and activity management as well as delegating roles and authority in a way in which enables teams to reach their targets/objectives.
- Proven experience of developing and implementing strategies and work plans which help to deliver the wider organisational objectives.
- Ability to respond to a dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to guide staff development towards achieving key performance indicators and delivering development activities which assist the organisation in achieving its targets.
- Demonstrable experience in consultative team approaches to decision making and innovation which motivates and drives teams forward.
- Sound communication skills which delivers complex information persuasively and with clarity.
- Proven ability and experience in analysing data which enables sound conclusion and recommendations to be drawn.
- Experience of managing child development and protection together with orphans’ sponsorship programmes in Islamic Relief for a minimum period of three years at field office level.
- Demonstrates the flexibility and energy that is required for a high level of self-management and awareness
Key Islamic Relief Qualities Required
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IR’s vision and mission as per below:
- Excellence (Ihsan): Our actions in tackling poverty are marked by excellence in our operations and conduct which are deserving of the people we serve.
- Sincerity (Ikhlas): In responding to poverty and suffering our efforts are driven by sincerity to God and the need to fulfil our obligations to humanity
- Social Justice (Adl): Our work is founded on enabling people and institutions to fulfil the rights of the poor and vulnerable. We work to empower the dispossessed towards realising their God-given human potential and developing their capabilities and resources.
- Compassion (Rahma): We believe the protection and well-being of every life is of paramount importance and we shall join with other humanitarian actors to act as one in responding to suffering brought on by disasters, poverty and injustice.
- Custodianship (Amana): We uphold our duty of custodianship over the earth, its resources and the trust people place in us as humanitarian and development practitioners to be transparent and accountable.
Closing date: COB 31st July 2022
Please forward a copy of the completed application form (available on the website), 1 page motivational letter and your CV along with a certified copy of your ID to email@example.com before the 31st July 2022.
Dearest applicant, kindly consider the following:
If the requirements of the application as above, is not met, we will consider the application as incomplete and this will therefore not be accepted.
Please note that if you do not hear from us by 12th August 2022, consider your application unsuccessful.
Over and above operational requirements Islamic Relief South Africa will take into account the country’s and organisational employment equity imperatives.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a copy of the completed downloadable application form below,
- a 1 page motivational letter
- Current CV
- certified copy of your ID