Islamic Relief South Africa (IRSA) is a member of Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW), a UK based international relief and development charity, which aims to alleviate the suffering of the world’s poorest people.
Position Title: Junior Community Fundraiser
Organisation: Islamic Relief South Africa
Location: Durban, South Africa
Contract: One year fixed term
Reports to: Regional Fundraising Manager
Purpose of Position
This role is to ensure that Islamic Relief’s message is disseminated on a grassroots level in the region and create awareness and as a result, instigate and support community
activities to raise money for specified causes.
Scope and Authority :
Plan and deliver fundraising initiatives at the local level
- Manage the stakeholder relationships by holding regular meetings, providing feedback on donations and exploring what Islamic Relief can offer them
- Manage mosque and community relations
- Organizing Jummah or Taraweeh collections for campaigns.
- Distribute material for specific campaigns at mosques and other gatherings (Ramadan, Qurbani, Emergencies)
- Set up fundraisers at mosques and in the community to raise funds and awareness
- Meet fundraising targets and ensure return on investment is met with individuals and/or networks we partner with
- Provide fundraising support to stakeholders working with Islamic Relief
- Respond to fundraising and other enquiries in relation to regional activities
- Utilise personal social media platforms to promote Islamic Relief messaging, campaigns, activities and appeals
Organise and coordinate fundraising and promotional events in the region.
- Ensuring that local fundraising events, activities and collections etc (including outreach collections) run effectively and are well planned, marketed and supported
- Leverage with relationships held to sell tickets in region ensuring their success
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of national events when required.
- Attend, promote & raise funds for Islamic Relief at any event organised by third parties.
Draw up and implement regional plans
- Draw up and implement regional annual/ campaign/activity plans with line managers according to agreed objectives and budgets
- Coordinate plans with other key personnel and volunteers.
- Anticipate and overcome potential problems.
Develop strong volunteer networks nationally
- Build a regional volunteer team by recruiting, training and managing members
- Lead the regional volunteer team in planning and executing grass roots community events
- Ensure all volunteers working with Islamic Relief are properly registered, inducted, trained and developed.
- Lead regional volunteer team in executing larger IR events, challenges and tours
- Assist with any fundraising activities taking place in the region
- Lead volunteer team to promote and obtain attendance at or with all IR fundraising events and initiatives
- Attend and network at local and IR events to build relationships, recruit for new volunteers
- Maintain and update a volunteer database for your area of work.
Fulfil administrative duties in relation to responsibilities.
- Maintain an organised and accessible filing and documentation system.
- Fulfil all obligations with regard to the taking and processing of donations.
- Ensure relevant reports are completed within agreed time frames
Attend events & meetings and ensure actions are followed up
- To participate in events & meetings requested by the line manager and others associated with the work above
- To ensure that decisions from any meetings or discussions are followed up
Ensure Communication procedures are established and adhered to
- Respond to local enquiries from supporters and institutions about IR’s work.
- Liaise with management as required.
- Communicate performance with line manager.
- To ensure regular reporting on activities, campaigns and produce an end of year report.
General Duties of Islamic Relief Staff Member
- Contribute to the effective and efficient running of Islamic Relief as appropriate
- Participate, as appropriate, in Staff forums and Meetings
- Adhere to Islamic Relief’s Policies and Procedures
- Represent Islamic Relief to the wider community as appropriate
- Treat all colleagues, volunteers and members of the public with dignity and work within and adhere to Islamic Relief’s equal opportunities statement and polices.
- Ensure professionalism and credibility at all time.
- Tertiary qualification/s in relevant & related discipline
- Some voluntary or professional fundraising experience
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Understanding of the motivational and management needs of volunteers
- Working understanding of the legal requirements affecting community based fundraising
- Broad understanding of fundraising techniques and the specific value, role and techniques utilised within Community Fundraising activity
- Able to work outside an office environment and manage remote relationships
- Budgeting and use of KPIs to monitor and manage financial performance
- Elements of fundraising feasibility assessment required to make informed decisions on ideas/concepts
- Use of Microsoft Office, data bases and internet to deliver business goals
- Understanding of equalities and diversity and how it affects this role, the organisation and volunteers/supporters.
- Well developed interpersonal skills, able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing as well as build relationships with people of all backgrounds, levels and settings including business, social and educational
- Able to motivate others, mentor and coach them in goal delivery
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills with ability to engage and inspire a wide range of audiences
- Ability to formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate plans in a cycle of continuous improvement
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and conflicting demands, delegate, organise and plan time effectively
- Initiative – ability to formulate own ideas and action plans. Implementing own initiatives and those of others to achieve organisational objectives.
- Resilient and solution focussed – able to deal positively with setbacks, identify and implement solutions to difficulties
- Entrepreneurial and creative – able to identity and seize opportunities, based on insight and rational assessment.
- Work to established and develop systems for tracking and monitoring progress of events and projects.
- Work flexibly to support section priorities and to maximise opportunities
- Able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Use information technology systems and packages within a work environment that will assist with this role.
- Willingness to be flexible about hours and location of work in order to accommodate events, functions and work activity. The role requires travel throughout region, late nights and overnight stays.
Key Islamic Relief Qualities Required
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IR’s vision and mission as per below:
- Excellence (Ihsan): Our actions in tackling poverty are marked by excellence in our operations and conduct which are deserving of the people we serve.
- Sincerity (Ikhlas): In responding to poverty and suffering our efforts are driven by sincerity to God and the need to fulfil our obligations to humanity
- Social Justice (Adl): Our work is founded on enabling people and institutions to fulfil the rights of the poor and vulnerable. We work to empower the dispossessed towards realising their God-given human potential and developing their capabilities and resources.
- Compassion (Rahma): We believe the protection and well-being of every life is of paramount importance and we shall join with other humanitarian actors to act as one in responding to suffering brought on by disasters, poverty and injustice.
- Custodianship (Amana): We uphold our duty of custodianship over the earth, its resources and the trust people place in us as humanitarian and development practitioners to be transparent and accountable.
Closing date: COB 19TH AUGUST 2022
Please forward a copy of the completed application form (available on the website), 1 page motivational letter and your CV along with a certified copy of your ID to recruitment@islamic- relief.org.za before the 19th August 2022.
Dearest applicant, kindly consider the following:
If the requirements of the application as above, is not met, we will consider the application as incomplete and this will therefore not be accepted.
Please note that if you do not hear from us by 26th August 2022, consider your application unsuccessful.
Over and above operational requirements Islamic Relief South Africa will take into account the country’s and organisational employment equity imperatives.