The IRSA Tibb Bursary Program focuses on providing needy tertiary students with financial support to access their education. A tertiary qualification is an enabler for many to break the cycle of poverty, however financial exclusion remains a big concern in South Africa.
The level of inequality in South Africa, which is the most unequal country in the world, is reflected in how access is limited to higher education for students coming from poor households. In a survey conducted by STATS SA, 51% of youth cited a lack of financial means as a course for not being able to access higher education.
This situation was further made clear by the #FeesMustFall movement which started in 2015, by university students who were expressing their frustration of being financially excluded. This resulted in the shutdown of institutions for a period, loss of life destruction of property. Even though the destruction and loss of life may have taken centre stage, and political players found opportunity for gaining popularity, the challenges of students remain to this day.
For this reason, Islamic Relief SA in partnership with Tibb, established the IRSA Tibb Bursary Program as an exit component to the Orphans Sponsorship Program for the project rights holders as well as community members in need of financial resources to access higher education.
This bursary program targets students who are currently doing undergraduate program and who are intending to study undergraduate program at one of the 26 national universities in possession of an acceptance letter, and have good prospects to succeed.
If any or both parent(s) is deceased, death certificate(s) must be attached
NB: Acceptable certified documents that are accompanying the application must have certification that is up to 6 months
They must be having a minimum average of 80% in 2021 academic year, and
They are also required to reapply.
Beneficiary who failed or performed poorly in 2021 due to illness and are in possession of proof are allowed to apply.
Click here to start your application online
Download application here if you are intending to do manual application
All had completed application forms and supporting documents are to be scanned and emailed to email@example.com or dropped off at one of our regional offices.
Johannesburg: Johannesburg: 157 Barry Hertzog Avenue, Emmarentia, 2195
Durban: 405 Sparks Rd, Sherwood, Durban, 4091
Cape Town: 396 Imam Haron Rd, Lansdowne, Cape Town, 7780
Tel: 011 486 0378
Tel: 031 208 2838
Tel: 021 696 0145
– Closing date is on 10-01-2022
– Tuition fees and prescribed textbooks
– No, IRSA TIBB Bursary is for students who will be studying full time.
-No, IRSA TIBB Bursary only covers 26 public universities in South Africa
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Central University of Technology
Durban University of Technology
Mangosuthu University of Technology
Nelson Mandela University
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Sol Plaatje University
Tshwane University of Technology
University of Cape Town
University of Fort Hare
University of Johannesburg
University of KwaZulu-Natal
University of Limpopo
University of Mpumalanga
University of Pretoria
University of South Africa (UNISA)
University of Stellenbosch
University of the Free State
University of the Western Cape
University of the Witwatersrand
University of Venda
University of Zululand
Vaal University of Technology
Walter Sisulu University
– ID / passport
– Matric / Grade 12
– Final grade 11 report for those who are still in grade 12
– Provisional or final acceptance letter from the university
– Proof of income of parent(s), applicant or guardian(s)
– Quotation indicating amount required for tuition fees
– Proof of income (Latest payslip for of parent(s) /guardian(s) who are
employed, and if any or both parents are not employed affidavit must
– If any or both parent(s) is/are deceased, death certificate(s) must be
– No, IRSA TIBB Bursary only covers public universities in South Africa
– Yes, IRSA TIBB Bursary cover specific courses, degree or diploma in any of the following fields of study:Build Environment(Architecture,Construction), Engineering,Information Technology, Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Financial management ,Accounting Science and Economics