Islamic Relief South Africa (IRSA) is a member of Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW), a UK based international relief and development charity, which aims to alleviate the suffering of the world’s poorest people.
Position Title: Regional Events and Challenges Coordinator
Organisation: Islamic Relief South Africa
Location: Cape Town
Reports to: National Events and Challenges Coordinator Islamic Relief
Islamic Relief South Africa (IRSA) is an independently registered NGO affiliated to Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW), the world’s largest, independent Muslim humanitarian organisation. Islamic Relief’s mission is to help the poor and those in need regardless of race, colour, political affiliation, gender or belief to live sustainable, self-reliant lives within safe and caring communities.
Purpose of Department
To develop and implement strategies to increase the funding income of Islamic Relief through a range of fundraising initiatives and through acquisition and retention of donors,
volunteers and supporters.
Purpose of Position
• To play a key role in leading the development and delivery of agreed regional events
and challenges with the strategic objective of engaging the community on a grassroots
level through an array of fundraising activities.
• To work closely with the Community Fundraising team to develop and promote
support of the events to maximise fundraising income.
• Co-ordinate effective fundraising events
• Co-ordinate and organize regional fundraising events
• Manage Pledge sessions at Events
• Initiate and revive IRSA crowdfunding through IR Challenges
• Direct reports: National Event and Challenges Coordinator
• Works closely with the National Event and Challenges Coordinator, Head of Fund
Development, Fund Development Support Officer, Donor Care and Orphans CoCoordinator and the wider Fund Development team
• Works closely with Finance, Communications teams
• Liaises at all levels within the organization
• Build relationships with challenges service providers, event companies and
Scope and Authority :
• Manage and lead the event and challenges team with agreed strategy and actions
• The Events and Challenges Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the
development and coordinating the delivery of National Events and Tours as well as
National and International Challenges
• To coordinate third-party National Events and Tours
• To project manage other assigned fundraising initiatives, campaigns or projects
• To increase donor and volunteer engagement opportunities through national
activities that will maximise fundraising income
• To design and deliver bespoke fundraising challenges (national or international)
upon the request of support networks
• The successful candidate will have a broad understanding of marketing concepts,
able to communicate technical information and requirements to non-technical
management and internal stakeholders, and able to manage multiple projects.
• The candidate will be commercially aware with a good understanding of budget
management and ROI, have an understanding of marketing trends, marketing
strategy, marketing techniques, and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative
research techniques. The candidate will have a track record of developing
innovative marketing campaigns across all media, have a creative and innovative
approach to online and offline media.
• The candidate will have a proven record of excellent people and interpersonal skills
with strong communication skills at individual and group levels, be highly organised and a strong team player.
• The candidate will have the willingness to be flexible and work evenings and
weekends, particularly during emergency campaigns.
Skills & Knowledge Required
• An understanding of Marketing concepts
• Ability to communicate technical information and requirements to non-technical
management and internal stakeholders.
• Commercially aware with good understanding of budget management and ROI
• An aptitude to plan annually, multiple campaigns and activities
• An understanding of marketing and other current marketing trends
• An ability to manage multiple projects
• An understanding of marketing strategy, marketing techniques, and knowledge of
qualitative and quantitative research techniques
• Proven record of excellent people and interpersonal skills with strong communication skills at individual and group levels.
• A track record of developing innovative marketing campaigns across all media
• Creative and innovative approach to online and offline media
• Highly organised and strong team player
• Willing to work evenings and weekends, particularly during emergency campaigns
• Computer literate: highly proficient in the use of word processing software (MS Word), presentation software (MS PowerPoint), spreadsheet software (MS Excel), database software (MS Access), email software and knowledge management system.
Key Islamic Relief Qualities Required
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic
values and principles as well as commitment to IR’s vision and mission as per below:
Excellence (Ihsan): Our actions in tackling poverty are marked by excellence in our
operations and conduct which are deserving of the people we serve.
Sincerity (Ikhlas): In responding to poverty and suffering our efforts are driven by
sincerity to God and the need to fulfil our obligations to humanity
Social Justice (Adl): Our work is founded on enabling people and institutions to fulfil
the rights of the poor and vulnerable. We work to empower the dispossessed towards
realising their God-given human potential and developing their capabilities and
Compassion (Rahma): We believe the protection and well-being of every life is of
paramount importance and we shall join with other humanitarian actors to act as one
in responding to suffering brought on by disasters, poverty and injustice.
Custodianship (Amana): We uphold our duty of custodianship over the earth, its
resources and the trust people place in us as humanitarian and development
practitioners to be transparent and accountable.
Closing date: COB 17th June 2022
Please forward a copy of the completed application form, 1 page motivational letter and your CV along with a certified copy of your ID to firstname.lastname@example.org before 17th June 2022.
Dearest applicant, kindly consider the following:
If the requirements of the application as above, is not met, we will consider the application as incomplete and this will therefore not be accepted.
Please note that if you do not hear from us by 30th June 2022, consider your application unsuccessful.
Over and above operational requirements Islamic Relief South Africa will take into account the country’s and organisational employment equity imperatives.