The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff. The following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
Strategy and Planning:
- Oversee the development and implementation of budgets, annual work and project plans for each strategy.
- Develop strategies for all forms of Major Gifts Fundraising/Planned Giving e.g. High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI), corporate, organisations, legacies, trusts, foundations
- Design, implement and direct fundraising initiatives, including individualised cultivation, solicitation and recognition strategies.
- Explore and develop new relationships and partnerships with the goal to widening the community outreach and increasing the number of new donors.
2. Fundraising management
- Manage a portfolio of HNWI and prospects with the propensity to give large gifts ensuring that all donors receive the highest possible care.
- To instigate, maintain and nurture new relationships within South Africa developing effective stewardship plans for managing these relationships and to secure and maintain long-term funding.
- Manage the relationship with key strategic external stakeholders and corporates.
- Accompany selected donors on overseas trips to visit Islamic Relief’s work in the field to increase the donors’ emotional engagement with the cause.
- Attend networking events and build contacts within the environment of major donors
- Create networks of HNW supporters across region that can deliver benefits for Islamic Relief, including income, increasing profile and engagement.
- Manage the stakeholder relationships by holding regular meetings, providing feedback on donations and exploring what Islamic Relief can offer them
- Organizing Masjid collections (Jumuah/Taraweeh) for campaigns and creating brand awareness
- Distribute material for specific campaigns at mosques and shops
- Meet Fundraising targets and ensure ROI is met
- Utilise personal and social media platforms to promote Islamic Relief messaging, campaigns, activities and appeals.
- Support regional / national events and collaborate with regional events co-ordinator
- Liaise and hold regular volunteer meetings as well as increase the volunteer database
3. Islamic Relief:
- Maintain full accurate knowledge of IR and gain support for international development and humanitarian work by raising awareness for their mission, vision and values.
- Understand and communicate persuasively Islamic Relief’s work to prospective donors through targeted funding applications, pitches, presentations and all other means.
- Negotiate high profile and sensitive agreements related to area of work.
- Represent the organisation at internal/external events as required.
- To develop and implement systems to facilitate good communication of fundraising
information between regional staff, liaising with the Donor Care team.
4. Research and Analysis:
- Research current trends in charitable giving, particularly major gifts.
- Seek advice and involvement of donors for lead generation and encourage peer to peer fundraising.
- Identify, research and evaluate prospective donors.
- In collaboration with IR’s programmes team, identify projects in need of support that match with donor interests and funding requirements.
- Oversee the preparation of timely narrative and financial reports for donors on the outcomes of work funded and in accordance with the donors’ reporting requirements.
- Monitor, reforecast and report on major gift performance against plans and budgets.
5. Information Management:
- Ensure all relevant processes are documented and recorded by the fundraising management team.
- Oversee the major gift part of the donor database, prospect management system and to document major gift activities.
- Identifying major donors, creating and maintaining contact lists.
- Participate in departmental and interdepartmental meetings.
General Duties of Islamic Relief Staff Member
- Contribute to the effective and efficient running of Islamic Relief as appropriate
- Participate, as appropriate, in Staff forums and Meetings
- Adhere to Islamic Relief’s Policies and Procedures
- Represent Islamic Relief to the wider community as appropriate
- Treat all colleagues, volunteers and members of the public with dignity and work within and adhere to Islamic Relief’s equal opportunities statement and polices.
- Ensure professionalism and credibility at all times
- Any other tasks deemed appropriate by manager within the scope of the role
- Tertiary qualification/s in relevant & related discipline
- Significant voluntary or professional fundraising experience
Skills & Knowledge Required
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic Values and principles as well as commitment to IRSA’s vision and mission.
- Knowledge of a wide range of fundraising mechanisms is essential, including CRM,sponsorship, brand association and employee fundraising.
- Creative and lateral thinker with an innovative and strategic approach to attracting new business.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Proven ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide range of internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Highly developed negotiation skills.
- Excellent presentation skills – the ability to present Islamic Relief’s work professionally to senior managers in the corporate sector.
- High level of commercial awareness and professionalism with a confident and positive attitude.
- Capable of interacting and engaging with a wide range of people and adapting personal style to suit circumstances.
- Effective time management skills – adept at handling multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Proven experience of achieving challenging targets.
- Experience of using databases to identify prospective donors.
- Experience using research to build donor profiles.
- Work flexibly to support section priorities and to maximise opportunities
- Able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Use information technology systems and packages within a work environment that will assist with this role.
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Willingness to be flexible about hours and location of work in order to accommodate events, functions and work activity. The role requires travel throughout South Africa, late nights and overnight stays.